Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mom's Red Velvet Cake

In honor of my mother and Valentine's day I feel compelled to share this recipe. Once again this is my mom's tradition.
To me Valentine's isn't complete without this cake.
It seemed to me that my mom made this cake ever year. There is
something about the frosting and the red hot's that make this cake so delicious.


Red Velvet Cake

1/2 c Shortening 1 tsp Salt
1 1/2 c Sugar 2 1/2 c Flour
2 Eggs 1 1/2 tsp Soda
1 c Buttermilk 1 Tbsp Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp Cocoa powder Red HotS (cinnamon imperials)
1 tsp Vanilla
2 oz of Red food coloring

Cream sugar, shortening and eggs. Make a paste of cocoa and coloring, add to creamed
mixture; beat well. Mix salt, vanilla with buttermilk, add alternately with flour to creamed mixture. Beat & Beat. Mix soda and vinegar and fold into mixture. Do not beat.
Bake in 2 9" inch heart pans, well greased and floured and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

Whipped Cream Frosting

5 Tbsp Flour 1 c Powdered sugar
1 c Milk 1 cube butter
1 tsp Vanilla 1 cube margarine

Blend flour and milk together, cook until it becomes a thick paste.
Stirring constantly. Cool. Cream butters with sugar and vanilla.
Add cook mixture to the creamed and once again your will beat, beat and beat some more
until it is looks and tastes like whipped cream. It will happen.

Frost your cooled cake and decorate with the red hots.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know Grandma made red velvet cake! It's one of my favorites so I am so happy that you shared her recipe!

    ReplyDelete